You have three basic reasons to separate egg whites from the yolk. Maybe you’re just cooking with egg whites and nothing else. I’ll leave that for later and look into the reasons first.
First, the recipe calls only for the egg yolk’s ability to emulsify and gelatinize. Leche flan for example will trap bubbles when included with albumen – the egg white.
Second, egg white is the best protein source, with the bonus of fewer calories. While egg yolk has bad cholesterol and a truckload of calories.
Third, some recipes only need egg whites. It holds air giving the recipe a nice puff structure. For spoilers, whip an egg white and it will grow up to eight times of its original size. Examples are icing and meringue. Add egg yolk and it will never puff.
For your needs, you can have a gallon of egg white ready or buy whole eggs and separate the whites yourself.
I guess you’re going to do some delicate work. Concentrate, separate the whites from the yolks.
Separate Egg White from Yolk
Cooking with egg whites needs a simple but vital skill. Without buying any special tool, you can separate the egg white from the yolk with two methods.
Be careful. The recipe either calls for yolks or whites. Breaking the yolk is a crime.
The first technique is simple but requires a bit of practice. Crack the egg by tapping it at the edge of the bowl. Pull apart and catch the yolk with shell half. Transfer the yolk into another shell. Then repeat until all white has been fallen down to the bowl.
The next doesn’t need practice. Break all the eggs into the bowl. Get a condiment bottle or mineral water bottle. Then use the bottle mouth to suck up all the yolks and transfer into another bowl.
How to cook egg over easy? Find out here.
Healthy Egg White Recipes
Egg white is healthy, so you took the time to separate it from yolk. You want to cook it the healthy way. So I’ll give you the healthy egg white recipes.
A. The poached egg white.
- Get the freshest egg possible. The old egg has watery white, which will result to poached egg with a lot of curly strands.
- Break eggs, then separate and store the yolks for later use.
- Get a 5 inches deep pot. Fill with water and set to a boil.
- Add vinegar but be careful not to make the water too acidic. You don’t want sour poached egg whites.
- Swirl the water and pour about 60-70 grams of egg white in the middle.
- After 3 minutes, scoop the poached egg white with a slotted spoon. Then trim all whiskers for a nice presentation.
B. Poached egg white, the poachpod method.
A good alternative if you can’t perfect poaching egg whites.
- Get fresh eggs. Then separate the yolks for later use.
- Fill the greased poachpod with 60-70 grams of egg white. Then place in a pot of boiling water. Cover.
- After 3 minutes, get the poachpod with poachpod spoon. Place in a pan and let cool for 2 minutes.
- Take the poached egg off the poachpod.
- . Serve with herbs and spices.
C. Poached egg white, the microwave oven method.
It also uses poachpod but never needs any boiling water.
Get the poachpods. Grease. Fill with 60-70 grams egg white. Then bake in the microwave oven for 1-2 minutes at medium-high heat setting.
Egg White Omelette Recipe
Savor the outcome of this egg white omelette recipe. It’s quite delicious and not sinful.
- Break the egg open and pour the white into the bowl. Dash with salt and whisk.
- Set a nonstick pan on a low heat stove. Add a teaspoon of olive oil or an equal amount of butter. Then pour the beaten egg.
- Shake the pan sidewards while stirring the egg surface with a spatula.
- When almost set, drizzle with herbs, chopped bacons, or vegetable slices.
- Fold in half and pat to seal.
- Drizzle with grated cheese and serve.
Meringue Recipe, for your sweet tooth.
Meringue is my childhood favorite. Perhaps, it’s your favorite too. Not only from childhood, but up to now.
Follow this meringue recipe to satisfy your craving.
- In a bowl, beat 8 egg whites with a manual whisk or egg beater.
- Add 1 teaspoon cream of tartar and continue beating for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of sugar in 8 small batches, whisking for 2 minutes after each add.
- Continue to add 2 tsp of vanilla extract and food color if desired. Whisk for another 2 minutes.
- Put in a piping bag. Then pipe on the pan with a baking sheet. Try to make uniform size meringues and align them in an orderly fashion.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes at 220°F.
- Turn off the oven and cool the meringue inside for an hour.
- Pack in an airtight container or PE bags. Meringues are hygroscopic, will quickly absorb moisture and will soften as a result.
Can’t get enough? Don’t worry because I’m not true yet. Cooking with egg whites has more to offer.
Sweet Egg White Recipes, for your sweet tooth.
Living a healthy lifestyle is a good thing. Yet, too much of a good thing can be boring. Indulge with these sweet egg white recipes.
A. Egg whites fluffy cake.
- In a bowl, add 10 egg whites and a dash of salt. Whisk and gradually add 270 grams granulated sugar and 1 tbsp sugar powder.
- Add 190 g flour, 8 g baking powder, and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Squeeze a few drops of lemon and continue whisking.
- Pour into a cake pan. Then bake for 30 minutes at 200°C.
- Transfer the egg whites fluffy cake onto a cake plate.
B. Egg whites creamy cake.
- In a bowl, add 8 egg whites. Whisk.
- While whisking, gradually add 1 cup of sugar. Then continue whisking up to icing consistency.
- Transfer into a cake pan lined with heavy syrup. Pat to remove air spaces and level the surface.
- Place the cake pan in a tray half-filled with water.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 145°C.
- Transfer the egg whites creamy cake onto a cake plate.
Do you find it hard cooking with the egg whites? Probably not. Most of the recipes I gave you are so easy to prepare. Except that you must practice to perfectly separate the yolks from the whites.
Healthy egg white recipes are perfect for your robust lifestyle. Egg is healthy and is even healthier with the yolks removed. Yolks has the bulk of calories and fats. You may include some every now and then but don’t overdo it.
If you have a sweet tooth, indulge yourself with meringue, fluffy cake, and creamy cake. But remember to balance it out with other foods such as fruits and vegetables. White sugar is a silent poison. Also, don’t forget to brush your teeth later.
I almost forgot, you must perfectly exclude the yolks if you’re cooking with sweet egg white recipes. Inclusion of yolk is a crime. A little of it and you’ll not be able to make the white puff.
You can get a package of white eggs from health stores or from friends who only use yolks for business. Else, get the fresh eggs yourself. Separate the yolks. Freeze and cook them for later or sell for income.
Read my other article on Eggs substitutes in cake mix.