Avocado with Egg? The combination doesn’t sound convincing. On the contrary, the egg goes well with avocado. In fact, avocado can replace eggs in some baked recipes like cupcakes and brownies. A quarter cup mashed avocado replaces one egg.
Most home fridges have this in common. The egg trays. Most fridge have, because eggs are affordable, readily available, and easy to prepare. You fill the built-in egg tray and get extra as you buy more eggs.
Eggs are budget-friendly protein source. It’s great and even greater when partnered with healthy avocados which are incredibly nutritious. Has more potassium than bananas. Full of friendly fatty acids. Has a lot of fibers. And, it can even lower your cholesterol level.
Before you dive in, let me give you some pointers on how to choose the right ingredients, the avocado and egg. Because no expert chef can possibly make a good dish out of bad ingredients.
How to Choose Good Avocado
For avocados, freshness is not of utmost importance. Select ripe and go preparing the food. Or, select raw and wait for a few days.
Ripe avocados should be soft but not too soft. Soggy fruits are probably rotten, and you don’t want to gamble. Surface color may vary from green to brown but black is not okay.
For raw avocados, choose the mature ripe and not the immature. How would you know? It’s easy. Hold the avocado and shake. You should hear a sound of seed tumbling around. If there’s none, let go and keep on inspecting the others.
Store avocados whether ripe or raw in the pantry, not in the fridge.
Can you freeze avocado? Read my post about it.
How to Choose Good Quality Eggs
Avoid getting dirty eggs, even if the vendor offered them for a discount. You’ll never know what harmful chemicals or microbes you may get.
Eggs are rich in proteins which make it an excellent medium for bacterial multiplication. Be careful!
If possible, get packaged eggs with an expiry date and a contact number. The expiry date will tell you upfront the expected egg quality. While the contact number will allow you to contact the vendor in case problem arises.
Now you’ve got fresh eggs. However, don’t be complacent. Always do an egg freshness test before breaking any. Good eggs will sink in a water bath while old eggs will float.
After choosing good quality eggs, you’re ready to make your first avocado and egg combo.
1. The Avocado and Egg Salad
Avocado and egg seem won’t go well together, but they do. For example, if you enjoy mashed avocado with sugar and milk, adding chopped boiled eggs and herbs bits will yield an avocado and egg salad. Add more vegetable toppings as you please.
2. Avocado Breakfast Sandwich
Get a bread loaf, spread over with avocado egg salad, top with sunny side up, then lastly, cover with another bread loaf.
Your avocado breakfast sandwich is ready. Grab a bite before going out for work.
3. Baked Eggs in Avocado Hole
- Cut avocado in halves. Removed the seed and plant in your garden.
- Place the avocado over a bowl with the holes facing up.
- Get fresh eggs and gently open, taking care not to break the yolk. If you have a tool to easily separate yolk from white, then use it at your disposal
- Scoop the yolk into avocado hole, then fill the spaces with egg white.
- Drizzle with salt and herbs.
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC. Then bake avocado and egg for 15 minutes.
- Enjoy your baked eggs in avocado hole. It’s a great snack in lieu of your favorite junk foods.
4. Baked Avocado and Egg for Keto Diet
So, you’re on a keto diet. Brace yourself as I’ll make the avocado and egg work for you.
- Get a large avocado. Cut into halves. Take out the seed and sow it in a pot.
- Each large avocado half should hold one whole egg. Scoop out a portion if you think it wouldn’t.
- Get fresh eggs. Soak it first in water bath as test for freshness. Discard all the floating eggs and get another set.
- Gently break the eggs directly into avocado hole. Cover with a heavy topping of chopped bacon and Cheddar.
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC. Then bake the avocado, egg, and bacon for 15 minutes.
- It’s a perfect baked avocado and egg for keto diet.
5. Avocado in Scrambled Egg
Get two fresh eggs. Break into a bowl. Dash with salt and ground black pepper. Whisk.
Add chopped avocado. Pour the mixture in nonstick pan over a low heat stove. Mix gently until the egg is set.
6. Fried Egg, Avocado, and Toast
- Pop up a bread in bread toaster. Then place it on a plate.
- Spread the bread with mashed and sweetened avocado. Put a sunny side up on top, then to finish, cover with another toasted bread.
- Alternatively, redo the recipe but replace the sunny side up with poached egg. Then add cheese and bacon on top.
- Be creative, own, and modify this fried egg avocado toast.
7. Mashed Avocado and Egg as Baby’s Food
You can give either boiled eggs or mashed avocado to your 4 months old baby. So why not give them both?
Your baby will surely love mashed avocado and boiled egg.
Your baby’s tummy is still sensitive so make sure to cleanly prepare all things. If in doubt consult his pediatrician.
8. The Famous Eggs Benedict on Avocado
Who is Benedict? What is hollandaise sauce? Stop asking questions for now and get going. After tasting this Eggs Benedict on Avocado, you’ll forget all those questions.
- Make the hollandaise sauce by blending together 3 egg yolks, 1 tbsp lemon juice, a dash of salt and pepper, and ½ cup of melted butter.
- Get 2 large avocados. Cut in halves, remove the seeds. Scoop out the flesh whole.
- Arrange the avocado halves in pan with the hole facing up.
- Poach 4 eggs. Then top one poached egg on each avocado half. Lastly, cover with hollandaise.
Before I forget, the avocado ice cream. Make it easily by mashing parboiled egg and avocado together. Add some fruit bits and vegetable slices and then freeze. Have a feast. it’s a combination of fruit and a protein source, it won’t cause you to gain belly fats and stock up bad cholesterol.
Finding organic avocado is not a problem. The tree grows and bears fruits without need of care. That’s why most of the fruits you’ll find are perhaps close to organic.
Organic eggs on the other hand may give you a tough time. Organic chickens are expensive and so eggs are also pricey. Don’t be discouraged, you’ll find it soon enough. Don’t feel guilty getting regular eggs while you’re on the hunt.
Creating recipes out of avocado and egg is easy. Fire up your creativity and get going. If it’s too hard to think, no problem. A plain avocado dashed with brown sugar, and a parboiled egg will go a long way. Eating them together is not a hard and fast rule. You may eat avocado and egg separately, and eat them with other favorites.
Check my other article on a simple recipes for Quiche.