Baby broccoli, also known as broccolini, is a small and delicious leafy green. I’ve always thought of broccolini as a hybrid mashup of traditional broccoli paired with asparagus. Broccolini tends to have long stalks and small florets. In recent years, broccolini has flourished and become a popular addition to meals across the United States, Australia, and the United Kingdom. Keeping continue to the topic, The Top Ways to Eat Broccolini.
If you are someone who does not enjoy the taste of broccoli, due to the slightly bitter taste, you may actually prefer broccolini. Broccolini is known to have a sweeter taste than its broccoli cousin, and in some cases is even easier to cook. Moreover, broccolini has almost identical health benefits to broccoli, making it preferable for those who do not like the texture of normal broccoli florets. Broccolini can be prepared in many different ways while still maintaining its delicious taste, and this is how you eat broccolini.
What is Broccolini and How Do You Eat it?
Broccolini found its origins in Japan when a team of plant breeders crossed traditional broccoli with Chinese kale. This experiment resulted in what we know today as broccolini, but that is not the only name it is referred to as. Broccolini has also been called broccolette, Italian sprouting broccoli, sweet baby broccoli, and more.
If you eat raw broccoli, you may be wondering if broccolini can also be eaten raw. It definitely can! Not a fan of eating vegetables raw? The best part about broccolini is its ability to be prepared in almost any way you prefer. When it comes time to cook broccolini, you will have several options, including steaming, grilling, frying, baking, and many more. Usually, broccolini only takes roughly 10 minutes to cook, meaning you won’t have to go through any crazy steps to prepare and cook it.
How Do You Boil Broccolini?
- The first thing you need to do is wash all of the broccolini in order to remove any unwanted dirt remaining on the vegetable.
- Then, fill up a pot with water and add a dash of salt. Place the pot of water on the stove and cover with a lid. Bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- Next, you will want to make sure the broccolini is close in size. Cut the broccolini into smaller sections that will be easier to fit in your mouth. If one strand of broccolini is significantly larger than the rest, simply cut the broccolini along the stem vertically.
- Once the water is boiling, place the cut broccolini in the water and let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes. After the broccolini has become tender, remove the pot from the heat.
- Rinse the broccolini under cold water.
- You can either eat the broccolini as is or sauté it with some spices to add a little more flavor.
How Do You Sauté Broccolini?
- Spread a drizzle of olive oil in a pan and place it over medium heat.
- Wash the broccolini and slice it into bite-size pieces.
- Once the oil has become heated, add the broccolini. If you are adding any other foods, such as fresh garlic or salt and paper, now is the time to add it.
- Sauté the broccolini for 3 to 5 minutes, or until it has started to become tender.
- Then, pour 2 tablespoons of water over the broccolini.
- Cover the pan and let the broccolini cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- Once the broccolini has become completely tender, remove it from heat.
- Add any additional seasonings, such as a few drops of lemon juice. Then, enjoy!
How Do You Bake Broccolini?
- First, you will need to set your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and let the oven preheat.
- While the oven is preheating, make sure you wash and dry the broccolini. Then, slice the broccolini horizontally into smaller sections.
- Toss the broccolini in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Spread the broccolini across a pan. If you have a lot of broccolini, it is best to place the broccolini on two separate pans.
- Place the pans of broccolini in the preheated oven and set the timer for 15 to 16 minutes. Check the broccolini and make sure it is cooked all the way through.
- Add any additional seasoning and serve immediately.
How Do You Grill Broccolini?
- Set your grill to a medium-high heat temperature.
- Wash, dry, and separate the broccolini.
- Toss the broccolini in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil as well as a dash of salt and pepper.
- Once the grill is heated, place the broccolini directly on the grill. Cook the broccolini for 8 to 9 minutes. Make sure you turn the broccolini every minute or two to ensure that each side is charred the same.
- When the broccolini has become tender and lightly charred, take it off of the grill and set it on a plate. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve immediately.
If you follow the cooking methods mentioned above, broccolini may become your new favorite side dish. Broccolini is filled with valuable nutrients, such as Vitamin C, Vitamin A, folate, and potassium. Moreover, Broccolini is also filled with nutrients that have been suggested to prevent cancer and other types of diseases. Broccolini is low in calories, making it a great snack for anyone who is on a weight loss journey!
If you are going to the grocery store to buy fresh broccolini, you will want to make sure to choose the right bundle. Look for broccolini that has bright stalks and green buds. If the buds have begun to turn yellow, they are older and will not be as sweet. Also avoid broccolini that is turning brown, as that is a sign of aging and spoiling. When you bring your broccolini home, make sure you put it in the refrigerator right away. Broccolini can safely be kept in the refrigerator for a week.