Sweet potato has been served on tables across the globe since time immemorial. Today, we will be talking about this popular staple that perfectly defines a complete meal. There is nothing more satisfying than having a long stretch at work and munching on a hot home-cooked meal to cap the day off. But sometimes, tired as you are, you wish for nothing but to have food ready in a snap. Luckily, the microwave sitting on your kitchen countertop is your best friend. But a lot has been asking, can you microwave sweet potato? The answer is a total yes. In fact, it is a widely embraced technique. Read along and unlock secrets behind sweet potato and microwave and their compatibility.
What Is The Appropriate Way Of Microwaving Sweet Potato?
Microwaving sweet potato is a no-brainer. As a matter of fact, you can do this with your kids and they will learn the basic stuff in no time. Check out these easy fundamental steps of microwaving sweet potato:
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes. First things first. You need to clean the skin thoroughly, scrub the skin if you have to. Remember, these are root crops which means they came from the underground. There is a high probability of it to have pathogenic microorganisms than those that grow above the ground. Some people like eating sweet potatoes with skin. All the more necessity to wash it well. Pat them dry with a paper towel afterwards.
- Prick the skin multiple times with fork or any piercing kitchen utensil. This is a safety precaution because when you microwave sweet potato, steam builds up inside and it needs to find escape holes. Otherwise, it may explode.
- Wrap a damp paper towel around the sweet potato. In general, microwave heat dries up food a lot quicker than other kitchen equipment and sweet potato is of no exception. The moist paper towel draped around your food will do the trick. Additionally, it will create a steaming effect as it encases the steam expelled from the inside permitting easier cooking. Others skip this step arguing that the potato has its own jacket which is its skin. It’s not bad to do so but there is a fat chance it will come out dry and tough out of the oven.
- Place the wrapped potatoes on a glass bowl or any microwave safe container. You may opt to put them directly on the microwave turntable but in preparation for a potentially messy ending, it is best not to.
- Cook for about 5-10 minutes in the microwave on high heat. The reheating time varies depending on the size of the potato. Sometimes, a large one may take a minute or two longer. If you are heating in batches – say 2 or 3 – you need to double or triple the cooking time. Avoid cooking in bigger batches though because it will result to lack of uniform heating. For an even cooking, turn the sides of the potato every 5 minutes.
- Do a fork test to check for doneness. Pierce one of the sides of the potato using a fork. If you can lance through without effort, it’s done. If your desired texture is not yet achieved, pop it again in the microwave for a minute.
Can You Also Reheat Sweet Potato In A Microwave?
You have leftover sweet potato from yesterday and it is sitting cold in your fridge. Can you microwave sweet potato to reheat it? Absolutely, yes! You know this by heart already but as a reminder, microwaved products tend to produce drier dishes. A useful hack is to put your potatoes in a bowl and place a damp towel on top of it to give it a little moisture during the process. You can redeem the spuds’ glory from yesterday by doing this.
What Recipes Can You Make On A Microwaved Sweet Potato?
Microwaved sweet potato can be eaten as is with your chosen meat or vegetable dish but you can go all out by reinventing it into something else. While baking in the oven, you can add different herbs and spices of your choice. The best way to do so is to cut the sweet potato in half and add the seasonings before popping it in the oven.
The softness of the potatoes produced when microwaving is enough for you to make a mashed sweet potato. Simply crush it with a fork right after reheating and peeling and add the basics – butter, salt, spice of choice. For leftovers, this is highly recommended.
Can you microwave sweet potatoes and make potato chips? Is this a bizarre question? Definitely not because you actually can. All you need to od is to make thin raw potato slices. Drizzle them with salt and pepper or whatever seasoning you want. Pop it in the oven for less than 5 minutes and voila, you have crunchy spud snacks with less oil.
Why Should You Microwave Sweet Potato?
You learned about the exciting ways of transforming sweet potato into different kinds of dishes and if you aren’t thrilled enough, here’s more:
First and foremost, it is no doubt the quickest way to cook sweet potato. If time is not a luxury, this is your go-to technique. The time it takes to roast or bake potatoes in an oven is about 45 minutes to an hour. Microwaving cuts the time to just 10 minutes which is way more economical. Imagine having more free time to relax and enjoy a steaming hot piece of potato. Besides, while it cooks much faster, the quality is practically the same compared when you cook it in an oven – soft and delightful.
Since we’re heating it only for a shorter time, the chances of nutrients getting lost in the process is diminished. Sweet potatoes are jam-packed with carbohydrates but the yellow ones are dense in vitamin A. The colored ones, yellow and purple sweet potatoes, have antioxidants. Why waste these important substances when you can save them using an alternative method of cooking?
In summary, if you are looking for the perfect way to fill your hungry stomach with a steaming hot sweet potato, skip the conventional oven, and microwave it. You will get much more benefits than you thought you could get.