How to cook turnips the easy way? In this post, learn how to cook turnips the easy way and at the same time, healthy and yummy. This common root vegetable can be sautéed, grilled, and have it roasted in two ways. Raw turnips moreover can even have a surprisingly great taste in fresh salads.
Turnips are found all over the world in all seasons. It is one of the common root vegetables which come in purple-white color. You can use turnips for meshing and for adding in various soups. In the fall and winter seasons, you get a large amount of this inexpensive root vegetable in the market.
At an early stage, turnips are usually small and the taste is sweet. Then, the flavor becomes bitter and more potent than the younger turnips. As it grows bigger, it will require peeling. Fresh turnip has green top and is hard to peel. To ensure that the underneath surface comes out, peel hard green skin turnips using a sharp knife.
Above all, it is important to rinse turnips thoroughly with cold water to remove any dirt or bacteria.
How to Cook Turnips in 4 Ways
Do people usually ask about how to cook turnips? If you are one of them, here are four ways on how to cook turnips.
1. Sautéed turnips.
How to cook turnips by sautéing? Firstly, always pick fresh turnips for sautéing. The older age turnips have brown dots which can spoil the taste of sauteing turnips. Bigger or older turnips are bitter. hat To remove stalks, use a sharp knife because this will make peeling easier. The peeling of turnips is very similar to peeling onions. Cut the peeled turnips into slices, just like the cut for french fries.
You will need these ingredients for sautéed turnips :
- Four small turnips.
- One cup onion, well chopped.
- Two tablespoons of butter.
- One tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.
- Salt and pepper as per your taste.
Follow these steps for sautéing turnips :
- Firstly, in medium heat, put the tablespoon of butter in a skillet. For 30 seconds, the butter will melt and heat up.
- Then add chopped onions and sauté in melted butter until it becomes soft.
- Secondly, add sliced turnips in the skillet. While sautéing, put another tablespoon of butter.
- Cook chopped onions and turnips stripe for about five minutes on medium heat.
- Then after five minutes, reduce heat to low and cook until turnips become tender.
- When toothpick slips into turnips, then it’s ready to be taken out from the skillet.
- After that, sprinkle some salt and pepper according to your taste. Add one tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to turnips and mix well.
- Delicious turnips are ready to serve.
Now, enjoy sautéed turnips in your meal!
Tip : Always pick fresh turnips for sautéing.
2. Grilled turnip recipe.
Try this grilled turnip recipe and find out how to achieve great tasting results with just a few ingredients and easy steps.
The ingredients you will need for grilled turnips are. :
- One pound sliced fresh turnips.
- Three tablespoons of olive oil.
- One tablespoon of ground garlic.
- Salt and pepper to your taste.
- Two tablespoons of ground parsley.
- Juice of one lemon, squeezed.
Follow these steps for a great tasting grilled turnips :
- Firstly, light a grill. Then prepare by brushing both sides of the turnips with olive oil.
- After that, sprinkle salt and pepper on turnips as per your taste.
- Then grill these quarter turnips over a heated grill for two to three minutes.
- For an even grill, keep changing the sides of turnips when turnips become tender.
- And then take out from the grill and place it on some plate.
- Over high heat, add one tablespoon of ground garlic and two tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet.
- Let oil sizzle for two minutes. Then wait for garlic to become golden on low heat.
- After that, add two tablespoons of ground parsley and one tablespoon of pepper.
- Mix the ingredients to combine well.
- Then add lemon juice topping on the grilled topping.
- Lastly, pour one tablespoon of the oil mixture on the grilled turnip with lemon.
Now, enjoy grilled turnips while it’s still hot.
3. Roasted turnips and potatoes.
Turnips and potatoes are almost alike when roasted. Peel the turnips with a sharp knife and cut down in pieces like lemon shape.
The ingredients you will need for roasted turnips are.
- One and a half pound turnips.
- One tablespoon of raw butter.
- Salt and pepper to your taste.
Follow these steps on how to cook turnips by roasting :
- Firstly, set the oven to 260-degree Celsius.
- Then on high heat, put one tablespoon raw butter in a skillet and melt.
- Put the sliced turnips in a skillet. And then sprinkle salt and pepper as per taste. Toss it well with butter.
- Lastly, on the oven plate, place these turnips leaving a small distance in between.
- Roast these sliced turnips in a preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Most importantly, do remember to toss during baking to even roasting.
Finally, enjoy roasted turnips cooked within 30 minutes.
Tip : Chop these quarter turnips with a toothpick, and it will make the grilling process faster
4. Cook turnips by pan-roasting.
As we know by now, roasted turnips are the yummiest. But do you know any other way to cook roasted turnips? You guess it right! Pan-roast turnips taste well too.
Below are simple steps to follow to cook roasted turnip in a pan :
- Firstly, slice the turnips like an onion in a thin shape.
- Then melt some butter in a pan. Put these sliced turnips in the pan.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper after as per your taste.
- Lastly, during roasting toss it well to make even roasting.
And now your yummy pan-roasted turnips are ready to be served!
Turnips are an inexpensive root vegetable. You can make a lot of tasty dishes with this white-purple root vegetable. Smaller turnips are sweet, and the big one is bitter. Always use fresh turnips and be aware of its size to ensure the quality of taste.
- You can make roasted turnips to gravy turnips very quickly.
- Sauteed vegetables are prevalent for health-conscious people—no fats, full of vitamins and minerals diet.
- Saute turnips with salt and pepper as per your taste within fifteen minutes.
- For crunchy and crispy bites, you can grill the turnips slices bites for approximately 30 minutes to cook tasty turnips.
- Garnish turnips with olive oil to give it a fresh taste.
Tip : To cut preparation time for roasting turnips, you may use a microwave.
Lastly, if you agree with us that roasted turnips are the yummiest, try out another recipe of roasted vegetable – Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe.
Enjoy and eat healthy!