Rice is an ancient crop which human have been using for centuries. It has different nutritional values depending on its size and the cultivation of land where it was planted. Some types of rice have long grains and some have an aromatic fragrance. You can also use it as an additive to other dishes like pulao, biryani, Chinese rice, etc. Rice is a full dish. Cooking rice is very tricky, and you should have the perfect knowledge of how to cook soft and smooth rice in a pot.
On the other hand, you can cook rice in an instant pot, in a pressure cooker, a microwave oven, and a pan. Cooking perfect rice in a container is a little tricky as you have to care about the water to rice ratio and watch for the time to cook rice properly. Below we will tell you ways to cook various kinds of rice in a pot.
How to cook long grain rice in a pot?
The recipe to cook rice in a pot is straightforward and needs just rice and water and a pinch of salt. You can add other ingredients to get different flavors or make it spicy. You can use oil or raw butter to soften the rice and to add an aromatic fragrance. Cumin seed is also suitable for aroma in cooked rice.
Water to rice ratio.
The most crucial part of rice cooking is measuring the water for cooking rice. You can use many methods for measuring the water needed for the perfect dish. But two is to one ratio is the standard. It means for one cup of rice; you need two cups of water. It is standard for white rice only.
For brown rice, you will need two and a half cups to cook brown rice. For wild rice, the quantity is more like five cups for cooking one cup of rice. The amount of water also determines the time for cooking. Less water means rice will cook shortly, and more water means more time for food.
To avoid having leftovers, take the proper quantity of rice to cook. Usually a half of a cup is enough for one person. Take the measuring cup for the rice and put this in an open bowl. Rinsing before cooking is a good habit, and you get neat and clean rice for cooking. Rinse thoroughly and drain the cloudy water. Now put the measured water in the pot and add rice to that water. Add a pinch of salt as per your taste. You may add a tablespoon of butter or oil to soften the rice.
Directions to cooking rice in a pot :
- Cover the lid of the pot and place it on the stove.
- Set heat to medium and wait until the water starts to boil.
- High temperatures can burn the rice instantly. Turn heat to low after boiling and let it simmer keeping the lid closed.
- You will notice bubbles inside the container coming up from rice. It’s a good sign because it shows that rice is absorbing the water. Keep the top closed and let the steam cook the rice.
- Turn the heat off and let the pot rest for another ten minutes with the lid closed. After ten minutes, you may open the cover. Soft and aromatic long rice is ready to serve.
How long to cook rice?
Cooking rice depends on various parameters, which include the type of rice, length of rice, the quantity of rice, and intensity of heat. White rice takes less time to cook, while brown rice takes more time to prepare.
How to cook brown rice?
Cooking brown rice is not different from cooking any other rice. Except that brown rice takes a long time to prepare. For cooking brown rice, you need just water and brown rice.
Follow these steps for a perfectly cooked brown rice :
- Firstly, measure the brown rice with a measuring cup according to your servings.
- And then rinse thoroughly to remove any dirt. Use a strainer to eradicate the cloudy water.
- Secondly, take a pot with size enough to hold the rice efficiently.
- Then pour the water as per requirement. Brown rice needs much more water than white rice. You will need two and a half cups of water for one cup of brown rice.
- Then add one tablespoon of oil or raw butter to add aroma and softness to the rice. Add a pinch of salt as per your taste.
- Thirdly, put the pot on medium heat and close the lid. Wait till the water starts boiling, and then adjust the temperature to medium. Let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Brown rice needs a longer time to cook than other kinds of rice.
- After 20 to 25 minutes, you will notice the bubbles coming up from the rice. It shows rice is nearly getting cooked.
- Now turn the heat to very low and let the steam cook rice. You will need 10 minutes for this steam cooking.
- Lastly, when bubbles stop waving in rice, turn the heat off and rest the rice for ten minutes. Open the lid and feel the aroma of cooked rice. Brown rice is prepared and ready to serve.
If you want to spice up brown rice, check out my previous post here. You will surely enjoy tasty but still healthy brown rice following the tips mentioned in the article.
There are dozens of methods to cook rice. The selection of the proper kind of rice for your recipe is essential. You can get long grains and aromas with white rice. Brown rice is good for pulao and biryani, or when you cook as an additive to another dish.
In this article, we shared methods on how to cook rice in a pot. You can now select your choice of rice and cook them properly following your desired recipe.
Time is another essential factor in rice cooking. White rice cooks in less time, while brown rice takes a long time to prepare.
Water consumption is another factor for perfectly cooked rice. Adding adequate water will guarantee you the ideal rice cooking. More water will soften your rice, making it jellies while less water may result in uncooked rice or hard to eat.
Choose the proper type of rice with an adequate amount of water to enjoy well cooked and aromatic rice. But if you are someone who may not be into cooking rice in a pot, you may want to check out a variety of rice cookers from Amazon in this link.