Who wouldn’t enjoy a baseball game without the popular stadium mainstay Bratwurst? Bratwurst is a German sausage that is made from veal, beef, or pork. The name of this sausage originated from the German word “Brätwurst”, whereas “brät” means finely chopped meat and “wurst” as sausage. The word wurst in modern German language is now associated with the verb baten which means pan fry or roast.
Bratwurst sausage is commonly called as “brat” in American English. It is widely popular in Wisconsin because of the large population of German Ancestry there. Bill Sperling popularized Bratwurst in stadiums in 1954 by introducing it in Major League Baseball at Milwaukee County Stadium. Bratwurst is a soft, savory sausage that you can’t say no. You’ll enjoy eating it as you enjoy watching the game, but what is the best way to cook stadium brats?
How to cook bratwurst in the oven?
If the weather isn’t good outside and grilling is not a recommended activity to cook your brat. Try cooking bratwurst in the oven. Here are the simple easy steps.
- Preheat your oven and your baking sheet to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once you reached the temperature, get your baking sheet and line up your sausages in the baking sheet.
- Bring back the sheet with sausages inside the oven and let it baked within 45 minutes. After the brats sitting in 20 minutes inside the oven, open the oven and turn the brats and return it inside the oven to evenly cook each side.
- After 45 minutes, bring out the sausages and let it rest for 5 minutes and serve it.
How to cook brats on a stove?
Can’t wait to grab one of that brat to your buns? Try cooking them on a stove by searing them
- In a hard bottom cast iron place in your brats with water. Do not submerge the brats in the water.
- Let the water boil and evaporate. While boiling the water give the brats some turn and prick of a fork around it.
- Once almost all the water evaporate add a couple of teaspoons of oil.
- Seared the brats in the oil by turning it every now and then. Keep doing this until the brats are golden brown.
- Serve it with buns and smear it with mustard.
The Best Way to Cook Stadium Brats
- Prick the bratwurst with a fork.
- Place the bratwurst in a stockpot with onions, butter, and beer.
- Boil at medium heat and simmer within 20 minutes under low medium heat.
- Prepare your griller while waiting for your bratwurst to cook.
- After 20 minutes of cooking the brats, start to grill and turn it around every now and then.
- Once the brats are golden brown it’s ready to be served on hoagie rolls.
Now you know the best way to cook stadium brats, here’s another best recipe you can try at home the bratwurst supper.
The ingredient you will need:
- 450 grams of bratwurst cut into halves
- 450 grams of baby potatoes
- 250 grams of baby carrots
- 1 large white onion
- 1 large red onion
- 5 big cloves of garlic
- ½ teaspoon Pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 250 ml of tomato sauce
- 500 ml of chicken broth
Directions on making Bratwurst Supper:
- In a large pot, heat olive oil.
- Sautee your onions and garlic.
- Add your sausages and give a good stir.
- Add in your salt and pepper.
- Then add your potatoes and carrots.
- Pour in your chicken broth, cover, and let it boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes pour in your tomato sauce and stir well.
- Cover your pot and let it simmer at medium heat within 25 minutes. Stir the dish every 5 minutes to avoid burning the tomato sauce. Once the tomatoes are soft it’s ready to be served. In case potatoes are still hard, extend the time for another 10 minutes and add a small amount of water to avoid drying.
A Bratwurst supper dish is a very relaxing food to serve, it is best to enjoy with warm rice. You’ll enjoy the sweet-sour taste of the tomato sauce. Every bite is savory and salty with the taste of the sausage. Lastly, the warm embrace of that warm, soft potatoes, and carrots. This food will always make you feel at home and calm you at your bad days. Every time you feel you had a bad, look forward to cooking and eating bratwurst supper!
If you’re planning to have a baseball-themed party, a bratwurst beer bites are the best appetizers to impress your visitors.
Directions to make Bratwurst Beer Bites:
- Grill your Bratwurst until it’s well done.
- In a pot mixed brown sugar and beer and bring it to a boil and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes at low heat.
- In a small bowl make a slur from cornstarch.
- While your sauce is simmering, gradually add the cornstarch while stirring.
- Continue stirring until the sauce thickened.
- Cut the brats into small bite pieces and glaze the sauce.
- Topped it with finely chopped parsley.
Bratwurst is made up of veal, beef, or pork. Its origin is from Germany and was introduced to America. It is widely popularized in Wisconsin since most of the German migrant population locate here. Otherwise, it becomes more popular in 1954 because Bill Sperling introduced it to Major Baseball League. Since then, Bratwurst became a mainstay snack in baseball leagues.
The best way to cook stadium brats is by boiling and grilling it. Other ways of cooking it are baking it in the oven and cooking on the stovetop. One of the coziest and best bratwurst recipe is the bratwurst supper and beer bratwurst bites.
Learning how to cook bratwurst is simple and easy. It’s not intimidating and even you’re a beginner, you’ll easily learn it without a sweat. Bratwurst can be enjoyed in many ways not only as a sandwich but also as a cozy delicious food. Try it!