Black-eyed peas are cultivated widely throughout the world. Most of the black-eyed peas cultivation in the 17th century is in Virginia. Later on, it eventually becomes highly popular in Texas and Southern parts of the United States of America.
Black-eyed peas are widely used as ingredients for food soul, Southern American cuisines, and as for your healthyish meal. The popularity of planting this crop is promoted by George Washington Carver. He said that this crop increases the nitrogen content of the soil. Lastly, he reasoned out that this crop is highly nutritious and beneficial to people.
Learning how to cook black-eyed peas is a simple and easy healthy meal for your soul. Are you excited to learn about the nutritional benefits of this crop? You may want to include this to your appetitive nutritional diet when you learn that it’s so simple and delicious.
Black-eyed Peas Nutrition
Black-eyed pea is a legume that has a strong savory flavor. It is astonishingly nutrient-dense. It’s a good source of fiber and protein. It’s also packed with important micronutrients such as folate, copper, thiamine, and iron.
If you’re planning to boost your weight loss, adding black-eyed peas may be a good idea. In addition, black-eyes peas improved digestive health because of its soluble fiber content. Lastly, it boosts heart health, it is believed to lower the levels of bad cholesterol in your body.
Can you soak black-eyed peas?
Now you know that black-eyed peas are healthy. You may now be thinking about how to cook one? There are dried and canned black-eyed peas and most people asked if they can soak black-eyed peas?
Soaking the peas isn’t necessary but it can help in shortening the time of cooking it. Aside from that, when you soak it for a longer time, it lessens the gas intake since you have washed away the undigestible fermented sugar. It’s your choice whether to cook it for a longer time or soak it to lessen the cooking time.
Healthy Black-Eyed Peas Recipe
There are many ways to cook your black-eyed peas. But one thing is surely delicious and healthy, the Minty Leaned Chicken Black-eyed Peas
The ingredients you will need for this recipe are:
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 250 grams of ground chicken breast
- 250 grams of dried black-eyed peas
- Tomato sauce
- Mint leaves
- Olive oil
- 3 cups of water
Let’s cook it:
- In a pot, heat the olive oil. Sautee your onion and garlic together until quite soft.
- Once the onion and garlic are soft, time to add your lean meat. Let it juice out its liquid. When it’s juicing add your salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Stir it very well.
- Next, add your black-eyed beans.
- Pour in your 3 cups of water and bring it to boil with medium-high heat.
- When it starts to boil, pour in your tomato sauce.
- Give it a good stir and let it simmer to low-medium heat from 30 minutes to 45 minutes if you didn’t soak your beans. But, if you soaked it within 30 minutes it’ll be soft and cooked.
- After 30 minutes, plate your chicken black-eyed bean. Then top it with a generous amount of mint leaves and cilantro.
Surely, you’ll enjoy this cozy hearty meal. It will relax your soul and your mind by simply enjoying every bite you take. Your Minty Leaned Chicken Black-eyed Peas is good to partner with a loaf of sourdough bread or a fresh baguette. Every bite is a refreshing mint taste and savor of cilantro.
Dessert with Black-Eyes Peas
If you crave something sweet after eating your meal, no problem! Did you know that you can also make a sweet dessert out of black-eyed peas? See the steps below:
Ingredients you will need:
- 7 pieces pitted dates
- Unsweetened cocoa
- Vanilla Extract
- Dairy-Free Chocolate chips
Let’s cook it:
- Using your food processor, combine your canned black-eyed beans, walnut, pitted dates, unsweetened cocoa, salt, and vanilla extract by grinding them. Stop grinding once the mixture develops a dough-like texture.
- Transfer your mixture in a bowl.
- Add the chocolate chips in,
- Start to fold the mixture.
- Using your hands, form balls, and place them in a baking sheet.
- Chill the balls for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, transfer the balls into an airtight container and keep it at a cool temperature.
That’s just a simple way to make your own black-eyed sweet bites. These bites can last a week. It is best to eat right after your mealtime. Do you know that these bites are great pre-workout snacks? Lastly, this is a guilt-free dessert. Even vegans will love these black-eyed sweet peas because of its gluten-free and refined sugar-free recipe.
To even more enjoy your healthyish meal, eat it with your special or loved ones, best is together with your family. The secret recipe that will ever make it more mouthwatering is adding some pinch of your love to it. Turning this warm dish into a cushy and comfy food is all you need to turn the world into a tranquil, cozy, soulful, loving place.
Black-eyed peas are legumes that are packed with micronutrients and nutrients. It is commonly used as a recipe for Texas and Southern American dishes. It is widely popularized to planting because of the promotion of George Washington Carver. Black-eyed peas have fiber, protein, thiamin, copper, folate, and iron. It helps improve your digestive health, boost weight loss, and help maintain heart health.
Black-eyes dishes can be served as appetizers, main dishes, and desserts. Soaking the beans can soften it and cook it in a shorter time. One of the healthy meals that you can cook with the black-eyed bean is a minty chicken black-eyed peas. This is a good source of protein, carbohydrates, and fiber. Otherwise, a healthyish dessert called black-eyed peas balls bite is a good pre-workout snack. It is a good source of energy and it’s gluten-free! We hope you keep making this as part of your healthyish meal!