Dips are some of the most versatile sauces out there. Dips are very varied, and you have sour cream, yogurt, beans, soft melted cheese, artichoke dips, etc. As long as you ‘dip’ some finger foods in some sauce, then it is considered a dip. One of the favorite dips is the buffalo chicken dip. But what happens if you had too much of it? Can you save some for tomorrow? Can you freeze buffalo chicken dip?
There is good news. Yes! You can totally freeze your buffalo chicken dip just fine! Either precooked or cooked buffalo chicken dip, they are safe for freezing for up to three months. However, there are processes that you need to do first to do it properly. But worry not, that’s why we are here.
Buffalo Chicken Dip can work wonders in any finger food you are currently serving. By simply adding this dip, you get a kick-off a soft chicken taste coupled with some creamy cheese. Plus, depending on your recipe, you might also have a spicy savor! More than enough to rouse you, especially when watching some sports.
A Brief Overview Of Buffalo Chicken Dip
Buffalo chicken dipped is almost always served hot. It’s really easy to make, and it requires almost no prep work, only taking you about half an hour to make. Ingredients are also accessible, there may be some fancy cheeses, but you can choose to replace them with cheap ones instead.
What makes the dip iconic is it’s easy to store and serve. You can make the dip ahead of time and simply refrigerate it. Then, you can use it whenever you please. That feature itself is what makes a buffalo chicken dip special, no hassle.
Buffalo chicken dip can vary, but here are the typical ingredients you will see. Namely, buffalo wings sauce, cooked shredded chicken, cream cheese, butter, sour cream, and mozzarella cheese. In some recipes, they even add some spicy ingredients. But if you can, try using Frank’s Buffalo Wings Hot Sauce, considering they are flavorful and a favorite for many.
Speaking of cream cheese, there are ways to make it even better! Check out our 4 Ways To Thicken Cream Cheese Dip article to learn more. If you are vegetarian and what to avoid dairy products like butter, check out Substitutes For Butter.
Keep in mind these ingredients as they might have different effects when frozen. However, it doesn’t mean adverse effects, but the results are just different.
Improving Your Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Need a bit more spice? Simply add a half teaspoon of spices such as pepper, or get an extra quarter cup of buffalo sauce.
- Need a milder dip? Lessen your spices and up your cream cheese quantity. It will give you a more creamer flavor and yet a mild taste. Alternatively, you can use a milder buffalo sauce instead.
Two Ways Of Freezing Buffalo Chicken Dip
Buffalo chicken dip can be frozen in two ways, precooked and cooked. We will explore each method carefully and see which one suits you.
Freezing Precooked Buffalo Chicken Dip
If you prepared your buffalo chicken dip ahead of time, you can leave it in the fridge for up to three days. Within that time, make sure to use it, or it might spoil.
But if you choose to leave it in the freezer, you can expect the dip to last as long as three months.
Here is how you can freeze your precooked buffalo chicken dip:
- First, prepare your ingredients and mix them carefully. Don’t heat them or cook them yet, but just mix them thoroughly.
- Place the dip into an air-tight freezer-safe container. Preferably, a container that is also usable for oven use so that it’s ready to bake whenever you need it. But if you don’t have one, a regular air-tight freezer-safe container is also fine. Just transfer it to an oven-safe container or a skillet when need heating.
- Label the container to track the expiration date.
- Freeze it for up to 3 months.
You can also choose to divide your dip into several portions in different containers. It will help avoid always opening the container and further extend the longevity. If you are now ready to cook your buffalo chicken dip, simply follow the recipe of your choosing.
Before you get into cooking your buffalo chicken dip, allow it to settle room temperature first. Alternatively, you can consider preheating the dip first before cooking it—make sure to preheat at low heat. If you are not sure which is the best method for your recipe, the safest way is to allow it to settle at room temperature.
Freezing Cooked Buffalo Chicken Dip
But what happens if you already cooked the buffalo chicken dip and have some leftovers? Again, yes. You can freeze buffalo chicken dip without problems. However, the quality won’t be as good. Sour cream and cheese are some ingredients that are known to decrease in quality once frozen.
Here is how you can freeze buffalo chicken dip:
- Allow the dip to settle at room temperature before freezing it.
- Next, find an air-tight and freezer-safe container where you can store your buffalo chicken dip.
- Label the container so that you may have an idea of its expiration date.
- Freeze up to 3 months.
Perhaps you are worried that your buffalo chicken dip won’t be as good. But worry not, there is a solution to fix it. Here is how you can improve your frozen buffalo chicken dip.
- Allow the buffalo chicken dip to thaw and settle at room temperature.
- Next, stir the buffalo chicken dip once or twice.
- Reheat the buffalo chicken dip.
- Halfway through reheating, continue stirring it thoroughly.
- To restore its original creamy texture, add cheese as needed.
Presto! You know have your buffalo chicken dip.
Buffalo Chicken Dip is a delight, it is creamy and has a meaty taste. If you want to save some for the future, then you have to freeze them. Good news! They are perfectly fine to be frozen. However, follow the guide properly so that you can fully bring out its unique taste. It’s very quick and simple to do.